Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Sun Also Rises

The book has sat on my shelf for decades. Not sure if I bought it, inherited it, or if it was gifted to me.  But I've never been able read Hemingway.  

Scott Fitzgerald was always more my cup of tea, at least maybe since Robert Redford played Jay Gatsby in the movies and I took a date to see him and Mia Farrow on the screen at the historic Saginaw Temple theater.

The Sun Also Rises.  Finally, after decades I am committed to getting through at least one Hemingway.

My English profs must have preferred Fitzgerald too.  Sone 45 years ago, we read Gatsby in an American lit class, but no Hemingway.  I always liked Professor Sharon Whitehill's taste in literature: Moby Dick, The Scarlett Letter, Huck Finn, Red Badge of Courage, etc., but no Hemingway.

No comments: