Friday, April 12, 2024

Opinion Piece for April 24, 2024

 

Several years ago, I enrolled in a Comparative Religions course at Lake Michigan College.  That overview course did not in any way make me a religious scholar, but it did give me a basic understanding of our religious similarities and differences.  In my estimation, our similarities are more important than our differences. 

Decades before that and while I was living in northern Virginia, I enrolled in a couple graduate level courses in religion and philosophy.  We read and discussed some of the foundational writings of western literature including Plato, Augustine, Luther, and more contemporary writers, such as, M.L. King Jr. and C.S. Lewis.  Having spent two years in the Navy with a ship based in Japan, I also appreciate the musings of Japanese authors like Shusaku Endo, the accomplished Christian author.

Having been raised in one Christian denomination and attended a parochial school as a boy, I understand now that my own upbringing was just that:  my own.  Several years ago, I attended a funeral near Saginaw for my favorite aunt.  She was raised in a different Christian tradition than me.  The preacher at her funeral preached about his understanding of what happens after someone dies.  It was a belief of the after-life I had never been exposed to.  To this day, I am unsure if his is a majority belief in his denomination or a minority one.  I found his understanding to be an interesting concept.

In the spring annually, different religious traditions celebrate religious holidays in unique ways.  I may not fully comprehend the depth of feeling or experience that each group of followers has for their own religious traditions.  However, I do appreciate that in this country we are allowed freedom of religion. So, for those celebrating a wide variety of religious holidays this spring, may your celebrations be blessed.

Some of us will be celebrating for different reasons this week.  For those celebrating the end of income tax season, hurrah it’s over!  Annually, the United Way of SW Michigan sponsors the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program in a variety of locations in Berrien, Cass, and Van Buren Counties.  I am fortunate to work with dozens of volunteers who have been certified by the IRS to assist taxpayers.  Thank you to the United Way and all the volunteers for their dedication and efforts in helping hundreds of residents of Southwest Michigan with their annual tax filing obligations.   Your efforts bring hundreds of thousands of tax dollars back into the pockets of area residents which in turn benefit the local economy. 

To our taxpayer clients, we realize that tax time is often stressful for you.  We do our best to ensure that it is as painless as possible and to ensure that you receive all the refunds which you are entitled to.  Suggestions for improvement are always welcome.

Currently, in the Michigan House is a bill that has already passed the Michigan Senate.  Senate Bill 632 is a bill that would cap the interest rate on short term pay day loans.  Currently, there is no restriction on interest rates on these loans.  Some lenders may charge 300%-400% APR or more.  For some in our area, pay day loans may not be the lifeline folks hope for, but instead may turn into anchors that weigh them down further.  SB 632 would cap interest rates at 36% APR on the loans.  This is the same maximum interest rate charged to members of the U.S. Military and it is an interest rate higher than most credit cards or other unsecured loans.  In other words, credit card companies still make considerable profit on loans with lower interest rates.    Unfortunately, State Senators Lindsey and Nesbitt voted against the bill.  I get it. No bill is perfect.  However, in my opinion the current status quo is legalized usury.  Based on that and knowing how extreme interest rates hurt people who may be financially struggling through no fault of their own, I support SB 632. 

Fortunately, the office of state representative Joey Andrews has indicated to me that he supports the bill.  The bill is currently in the Michigan House Insurance and Financial Services Committee.  I am hopeful that the committee will hold hearings on the bill and that the full House will vote on the measure in the not distant future.

So happy end of tax season to you all.  Keep those property tax bills, receipts, and business mileage logs.  You’ll need them next April.

No comments: