Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Deep River

 Having spent two years as a young man stationed on a ship based in Japan, to this day I enjoy the writings of several Japanese authors.

For some who have a similar interest, the novel Deep River by Shusako Endo may be a worthwhile read.  

The plot concerns a group of Japanese tourists travelling to India and specifically to the Ganges River. Each tourist's reason for the trip is explained in their background.  For some, the trip becomes more than a tourist visit, but something of a pilgrimage.

Endo, who is maybe the best known and one of the few Christian Japanese authors, seems to share his philosophy on religion as expressed by a Catholic priest featured in the book.

The priest, who has been admonished and banished from his religious order for his beliefs, states:

"But, in the end, I've decided that my (God) doesn't live only within European Christianity.  He can be found in Hinduism and in Buddhism as well. This is not just an idea in my head, it's a way of life I've chosen for myself."

Admittedly, I know only superficially of these two great Asian religions. 

I found the English translation of the novel to be well written and a quick read

No comments: